Persons aged 12 or more must wear face masks or shields indoors at institutions of preparatory education, upper secondary schools, Danish language programmes for adult foreigners etc., adult education and continuing training programmes, institutions of higher education, university extension courses, day folk high schools, evening classes, schools of music and arts, driving schools offering theory training classes, folk high schools etc. The requirement does not apply to geographically independent departments of educational institutions with no teaching.
Pupils, course participants and students are not required to wear face masks etc. in the following situations:
- When they attend classes or educational activities in classrooms or group rooms or at sports premises, workshops, clinics, laboratories etc.
- When they are only together with pupils etc. from their own basis class or team or, in the case of boarding units, when they are only together with people from their house, family or primary group etc.
- When they are doing tests.
Teachers, tutors, speakers, employees, visitors and other persons admitted to the relevant educational institution etc. are not required to wear face masks etc. in the following situations:
- When they are not in contact with other people.
- When they are staying in a closed room or behind a barrier screen to which pupils, course participants, participants, students, visitors etc. do not have access.
- When, on the relevant day, they teach two or fewer classes and the lessons are given in classrooms or group rooms or at sports premises, workshops, clinics, laboratories etc.
However, teachers, lecturers etc. at the relevant educational institutions still have the right to wear face masks or shields when indoors at the educational institution.
Persons with a reduced level of consciousness or a physical or mental weakness or the like that makes them unable to wear face masks or shields are exempt from the requirement to wear personal protective equipment.
Persons who are otherwise required to wear face masks or shields are allowed to remove their face masks or shields, fully or partly, if they have a good reason to do so. It could be in the following situations:
- For a short time while consuming food and drinks if such consumption is allowed at the relevant place.
- To take medication.
- During a conversation with a person who lip-reads.
- If the face mask or shield causes respiratory problems or a sense of suffocation.
- If the police want to verify someone's identity.
- If children or young people or persons with a mental or physical impairment for various reasons need to be comforted or panic when wearing face masks or shields.
Pupils etc. not wearing face masks etc. as required cannot be allowed access to educational institutions, and pupils etc. who fail to wear face masks or shields without justification can be asked to leave.
The requirement to wear a face mask or shield does not apply to day-care facilities etc., elementary schools and after-school care facilities etc. Teachers at day-care facilities etc. and teachers and social educators at elementary schools and after-school care facilities etc. are entitled to use shields indoors at the institution or school.